Investing In Our Future... One Child and House at a Time
- LEAD SAFE is a program to eliminate lead-based paints from our community.
- LEAD SAFE is for both owner-occupied and rental housing.
- LEAD SAFE includes screening, testing, lead hazard controls, outreach, and educational activities.
- LEAD SAFE is funded through a grant from the U.S. Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control.
- LEAD SAFE is a collaboration between the City of Winston Salem, the Forsyth County Health Department, Hispanic Interaction, Imprints, CHANGE, the Housing Authority of Winston-Salem, and the Center for Community Safety at Winston-Salem State University.
Who is eligible for Lead Safe assistance?
- Homeowners may apply for assistance depending on income, if their children have elevate lead levels, or if their home was built before 1978 and contains lead paint hazards.
- Landlords may apply for assistance if they have low-income tenants and meet other eligibility criteria. For more information on eligibility for rental units, please contact the Lead Safe program assistant.
|Lead is a highly toxic metal that may cause a range of health problems, especially in young children. Low levels of lead exposure can damage the brain, kidney, and nervous system, and cause learning disabilities, poor muscle coordination, slow growth, hearing loss and speech, language and behavior problems.
Exposure to high levels of lead can cause seizures, unconsciousness and in extreme cases, death. Symptoms of lead poisoning include headache, stomach ache, nausea, fatigue, and irritability. However, children with lead poisoning may show no symptoms.
Houses built before 1978 are prone to have lead-based paints. Surfaces that have been repainted may have lead paint underneath and can be exposed by peeling, cracking, sanding, scraping or scrubbing.
Both inside and outside the home, deteriorated lead paint mixes with household dust and soil and becomes tracked in. Children can be lead poisoned by:
- Putting their hands or other lead-contaminated objects into their mouths,
- Eating paint chips found in homes with peeling or flaking lead-based paint, or
- Playing in lead-contaminated soil and dust.
For more information on the Lead Safe Program, contact: Kevin Gibson, the Lead Safe program assistant, at 734-1279, or e-mail to: email@example.com
If you suspect your home has lead contamination, call the Lead Safe hotline.
The Lead Safe program is a part of the Community & Business Development Department