Fire Department - Sept. 26, 2016
Fire Department to Demonstrate Stove-top Fire Suppressors, Home Sprinklers During Dixie Classic Fair
The Fire Department will be setting stove-top fires daily during the Dixie Classic Fair to demonstrate the effectiveness of stove-top fire-suppression canisters. The department will also hold daily demonstrations of a home sprinkler.
Stove-top fire suppressors attach with magnets to the stove hood. If a fire starts, the flame makes the bottom of the canister pop open, dumping a powder that smothers the flame. Home sprinkler systems, similar to the sprinkler system in commercial buildings, are activated by heat.
The demonstrations will be held next to the Fire Department’s Fire Safety House, which will be stationed at the fair near the Gate 2 entrance.
Weather permitting, demonstrations will be held:
- Friday, Sept. 30: 11 a.m., 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 1: 11 a.m., 3 p.m., 6 p.m.
- Sunday, Oct. 2: 11 a.m., 3 p.m., 6 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 3: 3 p.m., 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 4: 11 a.m., 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 5: 11 a.m., 5 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 6: 11 a.m., 5 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 7: 11 a.m., 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 8: 11 a.m., 3 p.m., 6 p.m.
- Sunday, Oct. 9: 11 a.m., 3 p.m.
Also at the fair, the Fire Department will have its Fire Safety House and its Fire Safety Town, featuring fun and hands-on activities that teach children the principles of fire safety; and the Fire Department will be accepting sign-ups from Winston-Salem residents interested in participating the department’s free smoke alarm installation program.
Stove Top Fire Suppression Devices