Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) mailed incorrect ID cards to retirees. Please know they were provided with the correct information from the City. They seem to have switched those who are enrolled in Basic to Basic Plus and those who are in Basic Plus to Basic. However, when checking the BCBSNC main system, employee elections are correct. They are also correct in the City’s personnel system, and the correct premium was deducted from checks.
(links to external web sites will open in a new window)
updated 1-4-2019: Blue Cross Blue Shield ID card notice
On behalf of the City of Winston-Salem, thank you for your years of dedicated service! You can find important retiree information here to keep you up-to-date with your retirement benefits. Please feel free to call our office if you need additional information. We are always here to help!
Human Resources Director
Reminder: BCBS wellness participants must complete all wellness criteria by 09/30/2018 in order to be eligible in 2019 for the wellness premium discount and value-based drug plan.
2019 BCBS Annual Enrollment: October 8 through October 29
Access the annual enrollment website: cityofws.org/retireeannualenrollment2019
Type your first name, initial of your middle name, last name in all lowercase letters. If you have more than one middle name, use the initial of your first middle name.
If you do not have a middle name, then only enter your first and last names. If you are unsure of whether or not your middle initial is on file with Human Resources, please check the mailing label on your annual enrollment packet to see how we currently have your name on file.
Do not use nicknames. If you have a hyphenated name, you may use the hyphen in your name.
Christopher D. Bennett = christopherdbennett
Christina Bennett = christinabennett
Chrissy R. Bennett-Banner = chrissyrbennett-banner
Two-digit birth month + two-digit birth day + the last four digits of your birth year (not your social security number; we apologize for any confusion)
January 15, 1970 = 01151970
*If you are having trouble logging in to the annual enrollment website, you can mail the paper form to HR at City of Winston-Salem, Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 2511, Winston-Salem, NC 27102. Your mailing must be postmarked by October 29, 2018.
*If you are not making changes to your medical coverage or your beneficiaries, then you do not have to do anything as your coverage will rollover to 2019.
If you are completing your annual enrollment online and do not see the wellness option for your medical, then this means that you have:
1. Not completed all of your wellness requirement by the 9/30/18 deadline.
2. You completed some of your wellness requirements in September 2018, and Human Resources has not received the final reports from our vendors. If this is the case, HR will review the final reports once annual enrollment closes and make appropriate updates to enroll you in the wellness plan.
If you are not appearing on any our reports and you were not one who completed their requirements in September, you will need to provide proof that you completed your requirements. For example, if you are not showing that you completed your physical or preventive care exam, you can provide a letter on doctor’s letterhead advising that you completed your required exam. If you completed your health risk assessment, you can log into the Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) website at www.bcbsnc.com and provide a health risk assessment screenshot that shows your name and your wellness score and send it to Human Resources.
If you need to verify whether you completed your wellness requirements, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Human Resources will mail out confirmations of your enrollment in December 2018 to confirm your elections.
BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD of North Carolina
2018 BCBS Annual Enrollment was held 10/02/2017 - 10/23/2017
- 2018 Retiree Benefits Overview [pdf/900kb/8p]
- 2018 HR Director Carmen Caruth's Annual Enrollment Letter to Retirees [pdf/109kb/3p]
- 2018 Retiree Enrollment Change Form 09-28-2017 [pdf,343kb,3p]
- 2018 Retiree Annual Enrollment Information Meeting Schedule [pdf/143kb/1p]
- Open Enrollment: Monday 10/2/2017 - Monday 10/23/2017
- Available to benefited retirees and spouses under 65 or those not eligible for Medicare
- 2018 BCBS Basic Summary of Benefits and Coverage [pdf,2491kb,9p]
- 2018 BCBS Plus Summary of Benefits and Coverage [pdf,2491kb,9p]
- 2018 Value Based Drug List [pdf,100kb,3p]
- Required Notices
- 2018 ADA Wellness Program Notification [pdf,134kb,2p]
- 2018 Annual Creditable Coverage Notice [pdf,245kb,3p]
- 2018 CHIP Notice [pdf,372kb,5p]
- 2018 COBRA Continuation Coverage General Rights Notice [pdf,138kb,3p]
- 2018 GINA Warning for Wellness Program Materials Requesting Medical information [pdf,141kb,1p]
- 2018 HIPAA Notice of Availability and Privacy Practices [pdf,179kb,1p]
- 2018 HIPAA Privacy Practices Notices [pdf,176kb,2p]
- 2018 HIPAA Special Enrollment Notice [pdf,135kb,1p]
- 2018 Reasonable Alternative Standard Notice [pdf,59kb,1p]
- 2018 Womens Health and Cancer Rights Act Enrollment Notice [pdf,175kb,1p]
AETNA MEDICARE ADVANTAGE
2019 Aetna Medicare Advantage
Aetna will continue to administer the City’s Medicare plan for the 2019 plan year. Since there are no changes to the Aetna Medicare benefit coverage, there is no retiree meeting this year to go over the plan.
If you are currently enrolled under the City’s Aetna Medicare plan, then your plan will automatically rollover for the next year; there is nothing for you to do.
There is no monthly premium for retirees; the City will continue to pay your monthly plan premiums to Aetna on your behalf.
The 2019 monthly premium for spouses of retirees is $187.69.
Both retirees and spouses of retirees must continue their Medicare Part A and Part B coverage in order to continue enrollment in the City's Aetna Medicare plan.
Effective 01/01/2018 SaversAdmin will be administering:
BCBS Retiree Health Insurance premium payments (except WSPORS retirees)
COBRA dental premium payments
- 2018 Individual $26.52
- 2018 Family $73.56
COBRA Dental Reimbursement Plan (Dental Insurance)
Medicare Advantage Reimbursement Plan
- For those retirees who opt-out of our Aetna Medicare Advantage Program and enroll in their own supplement plan, the City will reimburse the cost of your Medicare Supplement up to the cost of our plan which is $185 for 2018. Please use the following form to receive your premium reimbursement.
- Savers Medicare Premium Reimbursement Form [pdf/150kb/1p]
- Human Resources will mail out Aetna Enrollment Forms to those Retirees and Spouses turning 65 in the near future. If you do not receive your form or need a new one, please call Tameshia Branch at 336-747-6811.
For questions, please contact SaversAdmin at 1-336-837-6712.
2018 Health Risk Assessment UPDATE
In order to qualify for the $50/month discount on your Blue Cross Blue Shield NC insurance premiums and be eligible to receive the Value Based Drug Plan, City Retirees who participated in Biometric Screening during January 2018 must complete your Health Risk Assessment (HRA) between January 1, 2018 and September 30 at 11:59:59 p.m. In March results from your Biometric Screening will automatically be downloaded into your HRA on the screens requesting your height, weight, BMI, blood pressure, blood sugar, total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
Please see the 2017 Health Risk Assessment Letter for Retirees [pdf/1p] for instructions on how to complete the HRA.
2018 Biometric Screening
Biometric Screening for 2018 was held in January. Please call Employee Medical at 336-727-2305 if you have questions.
Employee Medical Service has MOVED!
Employee Medical Services (formerly located at 32 West 32nd Street) has moved on Friday, November 4, 2016, to our new facility located at:
2000 Lowery Street Suite 150, Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Phone numbers and email addresses remain the same. Call 336-727-2305 with questions.
Tobacco Cessation Notice [pdf/1p]
Police Retirees: Police Retirees information [pdf] for important Cost of Living Adjustment to your WSPORS benefit.
Additional Benefit Info/Forms
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- My dependents have been on my health insurance in the past. Do I still need to send documentation certifying they are my dependents?
- NO, if your dependents have been on our insurance previously, you do not have to re-submit proof / certification.
Health Risk Assessment
- To receive the $50 wellness discount on your 2019 health insurance premiums, you must complete the online health risk assessment inbetween January 1, 2018 and September 30, 2018.
- Go to www.bcbsnc.com and log in:
- If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC insurance card to do so.
- If you forgot your user name or password, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.
- After logging in, click on WELLNESS at the top and then on HEALTH ASSESSMENT.
- The assessment takes about 20 minutes to complete.
LIFESMART WELLNESS PROGRAM
LifeSmart Wellness Class Series
Sittercise Exercise Class
Every Tuesday and Thursday (unless noted)
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. at South Fork Community Center
***For questions about upcoming wellness classes or to reserve your space, please call 748-3868 and leave a message on the Registration Hotline or email email@example.com
How to take online Wellness classes through BCBSNC
City employees can fulfill their wellness class requirement by participating in online wellness programs offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Instructions for accessing online with pictures BCBSNC Wellness Instructions [pdf/400kb/3p]
- Type www.mybcbsnc.com or www.bcbsnc.com into your web browser
- If this is your first login, you must register for Blue Connect. You will need the Subscriber ID (which you can find on your insurance card), date of birth, and zip code. If you have any issues please contact BCBSNC customer service. Their number is located on the back of your insurance card.
- Click on the "Wellness" tab on the top right of the page
- Click on "Wellness Activities" tab on the left
- Healthy Living Conversations - Choose from 15 online, interactive conversations on such topics as stress management, healthy thinking and healthy eating
- Online Monthly Seminars - Fun and engaging online seminars on a variety of wellness topics
- Virtual Coaching Programs - Focuses on lifestyle issues such as stress, weight management, nutrition, tobacco and physical activity.
HEALTHY OUTCOMES WELLNESS - Our Program for Better Health
North Carolina State Retirement Systems
North Carolina Treasurer
Pierce Group Insurance - a partner of the NC State Retirement System
Other Retirement Systems
- Winston-Salem Police Officers Retirement System (WSPORS)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Reassure Life/Midland: 336-765-1582 Roy Jennings
- UNUM Universal Life 1 800-635-5597, Unum web site
- CNA (Long-term Care): 1 800-266-2904, CNA web site
Links to Helpful Information
Have a suggestion or comment to send to the Webmaster? Use this form.
rev. 03-23-2018 CMF