The following recommendations are among those included in the Southeast Forsyth County Area Plan, beginning on page 23:
- Large lot residential development and agriculture is recommended for the majority of sites in the southern portion of the planning area, generally south of Watkins Ford Road and east of Wallburg Road.
- Consideration should be given to protecting significant natural features, natural vegetation, historic resources, and open space by clustering development on site.
- Moderate density residential development is recommended along the east side of Union Cross Road between Glenn Hi Road and US 311/I-74.
- Goods and services should be available near where people live and work.
- Commercial development is recommended for sites located in the four activity centers within the planning area: the Union Cross Road/I-40 interchange, the Union Cross Road/High Point Road intersection, the High Point Road/Horneytown Road intersection and areas west of the NC 66/Old Salem Road intersection.
- Future business park development may be possible in the following locations if the area is no longer used for farming and public water and sewer can be made available: the southeast corner of the US 311/I-74-Union Cross Road interchange, the northeast and southeast corners of the US 311/I-74-High Point Road interchange, and the northeast and northwest corners of the US 311/I-74-NC 66 interchange.
- Improve and align the intersection of Gumtree Road with Sawmill Road and Reid Road.
- Replace the High Point Road bridge over Abbotts Creek.
- Support construction of the extension of Glenn Hi Road from Union Cross Road east to Bunker Hill/Sandy Ridge Road.