Historic Resources Commission - Sept. 11, 2017
A local historic marker commemorating the 14th Street School will be unveiled at 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 16, at 1215 N. Cameron Ave.
The original school building was completed in 1924 to serve African American residents. The school was built in the Classical Revival style and was four stories high, making it a landmark in the thriving African-American neighborhood along East 14th Street. Additions doubled its size and by the late 1930s the school had more than 40 teachers serving more than 1,100 students. The school closed in 1973 and the building was used as offices for the school system until it was demolished in 1977.
Speakers at the unveiling will include Mayor Allen Joines; Council Members Vivian H. Burke and Derwin L. Montgomery; Forsyth County Commissioner Fleming El Amin, Kristen McManus of the Historic Resources Commission; Alfred Harvey, president of the Fourteenth Street School Alumni; and Marva Reid, president of the East/Northeast Winston Neighborhood.
"In 1924, the 14th Street School was built on this corner as a Colored Graded School. The four-story, Classical Revival style facility was located in the prominent African-American E. 14th Street neighborhood, and was soon expanded with a 20-classroom addition doubling its size. Graduates include mayors, professional athletes and an opera singer. The school was integrated in 1970, closed in 1973, and became offices for the school system until it was demolished in 1977."