Using the Advanced Search & Mapping
In the upper-right of each web page, you will see a link to the Advanced Search function. This Advanced Search will allow you to specify more details about your Search and to map the results to a location map.
1. You can choose the content type you are searching for.
- Leave it on "All" or choose Web pages only or Events only (and optional to specify a date range for the Event).
- Enter at least one keyword for your search (optionally, use the "or" or "and" to combine keyword combinations).
2. If you have a specific address to search against, check the "(Optional) Search within a distance of an address" box.
If you are signed in as a member, you will see your own saved addresses in the drop list and can choose one of those. Add new addresses to your own list in the Profile section (use the "My Profile" link in the left column). Note: Add your own addresses before doing a Search. | Information about becoming a member of the site.
- Choose a mileage radius to search against.
- Enter the address into the text field
- Change the city, if necessary
3. If you would like to immediately see the results on a map, check the "Show Results on Map" box.
- When the search results appear, all items that have an address specified will automatically be shown on a map in a new window.
4. Click the "Search" button at the bottom.
Search results will return for you in a moment. Each item will have a short description, and the note "Show on Map" at the end if there is an address; click this link to see a map with this address pinpointed.
At the right of each item in the list is a "select' link that will take you to that web page.
At the top right of the Search results page is a link that will show all the items on a map, "Show Items on Map."
The map has a balloon feature for each item with a link that will take you to the details.
The new window that shows item locations has several features to help you.
- checkboxes to show or not show items from the list.
- clicking the link in the item list will highlight the pinpoint for that item.
- zoom controls to enlarge the map or set it back to a less detailed view.
- pinpoints in different colors to denote web pages (blue) or events (red) or your own, added points (yellow). hover over the pinpoints to see the name of the item.
- click the pinpoint to see details and get driving directions.
- under the map are links for Help and to see the Advanced Mapping instructions.
Close the new window to dismiss it, or use your taskbar buttons to return to the search results web page.
You can also choose to view the Satellite view of the area, or a hybrid view, which is a combination of streets (map view) and satellite.
The Addresses and Landmarks page has addresses for you to search on.
NOTE: If the address you see in the Address box is "www.ci.winston-salem.nc.us" then you may not get a map result; change the URL or use this link to begin with the new city URL: