5:30-7:30 p.m., April 11, 2018
Benton Convention Center, Winston Room
301 W. Fifth St., Winston-Salem
A free networking event for minority and woman-owned businesses to learn about opportunities to do business with the city and local contractors.
Expand your network of contacts -- and of potential business partners -- at the M/WBE Mixer. The Mixer is an informal way to get to know others in the business community who need your products or service -- and who have products and services that you need. Make sure you bring plenty of business cards!
The Mixer will offer:
- Open Networking to meet fellow business owners along with representatives of the Winston-Salem Chamber, the Winston-Salem Black Chamber, the city of Winston-Salem, and others. Open to all, but the required registration has ended.
- Construction Trades Speed Networking. Move from table to table for short, seven-minute one-on-one meetings with general contractors who use subs. The required registration for speed networking has ended. See list of participating firms.
- City Department Speed Networking. Move from table to table for short, seven-minute one-on-one meetings with city departments that purchase goods and services. The required registration for speed networking has ended. See list of participating firms.
Light hors d'oeuvres and refreshments will be served.
Hosted by the City of Winston Salem's Office of Business Inclusion & Advancement in partnership with the Winston-Salem Black Chamber, the Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce and the FTCC Small Business Center.
Questions? Tiesha Hinton, 336-734-1262, tieshah@cityofws,org
From the 2017 Mixer: "There was an enormous amount of opportunity in the room which suited my newly established firm perfectly. I greatly appreciate all of the support from you, the City and the MWBE team and I look forward to working with you all further. I look forward to the next mixer!"
Teniece Smith, Black Card Home
Participating firms scheduled to attend
Plus trades they hire
- Bar Construction: Subcontractors in all trades.
- Crowder Construction: Subcontractors in all trades.
- Frank L Blum Construction: Subcontractors in all trades.
- Gavel & Dorn Engineering: Subcontractors in all trades.
- Harper Corp.: Subcontractors in all trades.
- H.M. Kern: Subcontractors in all trades.
- Highfill Infrastructure Engineering: Surveying, engineering, utility, architecture.
- I.L. Long Construction: Subcontractors in all trades.
- New Atlantic Contracting Inc.: Subcontractors in all trades.
- Shelco LLC: Demolition, electrical, concrete, cleaners, plumbers, welding/steel, landscaping, flooring, carpentry, drywall, millwork, paint, masonry.
- Smith-Rowe LLC: Construction materials, concrete & concrete flatwork, asphalt, hauling, grading, seeding/mulching, erosion control, milling, paving.
- Vannoy Construction: Projects include corporate, industrial, retail projects, schools, auto dealerships.
- Walter Robbs Callahan & Pierce Architects, PA: Historic restoration work, including masonry, stonework, stucco, metals, millwork, plaster, tile, cast & wrought iron, roofing, windows & doors.
Participating city departments scheduled to attend
Plus goods and services they purchase (if applicable)
- City/County Purchasing: Information related to bids.
- City/County Utilities: Demolition, mowing, catering, uniforms, custodial services.
- City/County Planning & Development Services: catering, office supplies
- City Link: Promotional items, contact center equipment (headsets, foot rests, etc.) customer service training & development software.
- City Secretary: Catering, office supplies, printing services.
- Community Development: Demolitions, in-rem repairs, high weeds & grass, logo shirts, logo jackets, construction rehabilitation, lead paint hazard inspections, residential appraisals, storage containers, port-a-johns and legal services.
- Emergency Management: Catering, badging systems, vehicle backup cameras.
- Engineering: Construction projects including water/sewer, sidewalks, greenways, roads and bridges; engineering design and testing, utility location services, geotechnical design and testing services.
- Human Resources: Catering, awards/recognitions, promotional items.
- Winston-Salem Fairgrounds: Sales, marketing/advertising/PR, custodial services, construction, landscape design.
- Winston Salem Fire Department: Alteration, engraving services, supplies, linen services, specialty equipment and office supplies.
- Information Systems: Infrastructure, applications and databases, datacenter technologies, telecommunications.
- Office of Business Inclusion & Advancement: Technical and financial assistance for small businesses.
- Property & Facilities Maintenance: General construction and construction materials, auto repair, pressure washing, landscape maintenance.
- Recreation & Parks: Athletic equipment, screen printing services, concrete work, playground equipment, construction services.
- Traffic Field Operations: Engineering services, geological services, surveying, concrete, paving and related materials, fencing, concrete pipe.
- Winston-Salem Department of Transportation: Resurfacing, sidewalk construction/repair, greenway construction, bike/pedestrian facilities, transportation studies; bus shelters, passenger amenities, bus parts/repairs, pest control, security systems, IT services.
The 2017 Winston-Salem Mixer took place on January 10 at Wake Forest Biotech Place. The networking event allowed small businesses, minority-owned businesses and woman-owned businesses to learn about opportunities to do business with the city and local contractors. Click the picture below to see more images from the mixer, or view our Flickr album.
2017 article from the Winston-Salem Chronicle: Business Mixer Draws Large Crowd