The Winston-Salem Fire Department provides a timely response to calls for assistance involving fire, medical situations, and rescue incidents. The department provides code enforcement, fire prevention education, and smoke alarms as a first line of defense in preventing loss of life and mitigating property damage.
The Citizen Fire Academy is currently accepting applications through July 25, 2016. Residents can learn about the functions of the Winston-Salem Fire Department and receive hands-on experience in fire and life safety. This year's academy will be held on Mondays, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m., Aug. 1 to Sept. 26, 2016. The Citizen Fire Academy is free and is open to residents 18 and older. Participants will be selected through an application process and must commit to attending all eight class meetings. Class size is limited. Apply online:
Find us on Twitter!
- WSFD Quick Facts
- 2015 Number of calls = 23,262
- 2015 Number of fire calls = 854
- 2015 Number of EMS/Rescue calls = 14,616
- 2015 Number of other calls (False Alarm, Hazardous Conditions, General Service calls, etc.) = 7,792
- Number of total employees = 346.5
We had 21 days without any kitchen fires in 2016