(links to external web sites will open in a new window)
On behalf of the City of Winston-Salem, thank you for your years of dedicated service! You can find important retiree information here to keep you up-to-date with your retirement benefits. Please feel free to call our office if you need additional information. We are always here to help!
Human Resources Director
Important Annual Enrollment Information
Information for BCBS Insurance
Information for Medicare Advantage Insurance
- Open Enrollment: Saturday 10/15/2016 - Wednesday 12/07/2016
- Aetna Medicare Advantage Information Meetings
- Location - Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Home and Garden Building, 400 27th Street NW, Winston Salem, NC 27105
- Wednesday, November 9, 2016 from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 10, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 Noon
- Available to benefited retirees and spouses who are Medicare eligible
- Must have Medicare Part A and Part B
- 09-29-2016 UPDATE we are looking into the possibility of transferring all UHC enrollees to the new Aetna Plan to ease the transition. Hopefully you will not have to fill out new enrollment paperwork. You will have the option to OPT-OUT of the Aetna plan. As soon as more information is available, it will be posted here and sent via mail.
Effective 1/1/2017, Aetna will administer the City's Medicare Advantage Program. All retirees currently enrolled in the Medicare Advantage Program should plan to attend one of the following educational meetings to learn more about the program and ask questions of Aetna representatives who will be onsite. More information on the plan will be mailed to Retirees in October 2016.
- Wednesday 11/9/2016 (1:00 - 4:00 p.m.) Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Home & Garden Building
- Thursday 11/10/2016 (9:00 a.m. - 12:00 Noon) Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Home & Garden Building
Please join us for the 2016 Free Flu Shot Clinic available to all sworn employees, non-sworn employees, dependents covered on the city's insurance, city retirees and retiree spouses.
- BCBSNC card or Medicare card
- picture ID
- no appointments necessary
- first come first served
Have questions? Call 336-727-2305 or email email@example.com
2016 Free Flu Shot Clinic Schedule [pdf/425kb/2p]
Employee Medical Service is MOVING!
Employee Medical Services currently located at 32 West 32nd street is moving on Friday, November 5, 2016, to our new facility located at:
2000 Lowery Street Suite 150, Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Phone numbers and email addresses remain the same. Call 336-727-2305 with questions.
Health Risk Assessment Letter for Retirees [pdf/1p]
Tobacco Cessation Notice [pdf/1p]
Police Retirees: Police Retirees information [pdf] for important Cost of Living Adjustment to your WSPORS benefit.
**Due to the volume of questions, we may not be able to answer each email. Instead, questions will be answered here under Frequently Asked Questions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Health Risk Assessment
- To receive the $50 wellness discount on your 2016 health insurance premiums, you must have completed the online health risk assessment by March 31, 2016.
- Go to www.bcbsnc.com and log in:
- If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC insurance card to do so.
- If you forgot your user name or password, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.
- After logging in, click on WELLNESS at the top and then on HEALTH ASSESSMENT.
- The assessment takes about 20 minutes to complete.
LIFESMART WELLNESS PROGRAM
Reminder: Employee Medical Services has moved. The new address is
32 West 32nd Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27105
LifeSmart Wellness Class Series
Sittercise Exercise Class
Every Tuesday and Thursday (unless noted)
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. at South Fork Community Center
***For questions about upcoming wellness classes or to reserve your space, please call 748-3868 and leave a message on the Registration Hotline or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to take online Wellness classes through BCBSNC
City employees can fulfill their wellness class requirement by participating in online wellness programs offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Instructions for accessing online with pictures BCBSNC Wellness Instructions [pdf/3p/400kb]
- Type www.mybcbsnc.com or www.bcbsnc.com into your web browser
- If this is your first login, you must register for Blue Connect. You will need the Subscriber ID (which you can find on your insurance card), date of birth, and zip code. If you have any issues please contact BCBSNC customer service. Their number is located on the back of your insurance card.
- Click on the "Wellness" tab on the top right of the page
- Click on "Wellness Activities" tab on the left
- Healthy Living Conversations - Choose from 15 online, interactive conversations on such topics as stress management, healthy thinking and healthy eating
- Online Monthly Seminars - Fun and engaging online seminars on a variety of wellness topics
- Virtual Coaching Programs - Focuses on lifestyle issues such as stress, weight management, nutrition, tobacco and physical activity.
HEALTHY OUTCOMES WELLNESS - Our Program for Better Health
North Carolina State Retirement Systems
North Carolina Treasurer
Pierce Group Insurance - a partner of the NC State Retirement System
Other Retirement Systems
- Winston-Salem Police Officers Retirement System (WSPORS)
- Aetna Life Insurance: 1 800-826-7448, Aetna web site
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Reassure Life/Midland: 336-765-1582 Roy Jennings
- UNUM Universal Life 1 800-635-5597, Unum web site
- CNA (Long-term Care): 1 800-266-2904, CNA web site
City-Sponsored Retiree benefits available to eligible retirees, spouses, and dependents
- BCBS Medical Coverage for pre-65 retirees, spouses, and dependents
- United Health Care Supplement coverage for post-65 retirees and spouses
- $2,000 Retiree Life Insurance (Death Benefit)
Links to Helpful Information
Have a suggestion or comment to send to the Webmaster? Use this form.