(links to external web sites will open in a new window)
On behalf of the City of Winston-Salem, thank you for your years of dedicated service! You can find important retiree information here to keep you up-to-date with your retirement benefits. Please feel free to call our office if you need additional information. We are always here to help!
Human Resources Director
2016 Biometric Screenings
Friday, January 8 - Friday, January 29, 2016
Retirees who expressed interest in participating in the Wellness Premium Discount Program must complete a Biometric Screening in order to remain eligible for the $50 monthly discount from Medical premiums.
Biometric Screenings will take place citywide Friday, January 8, 2016 – Friday, January 29, 2016
- The screening measures height, weight and blood pressure, as well as a finger stick to determine total cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels, and tobacco use
- Retirees may schedule their Biometric Screening appointment in one of the following ways, but must do so 12/1/2015 to 12/22/2015;
Call (336) 713-5988 (M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
Employees may contact Betty Speaks at (336) 784-3866 if they cannot make any of the available times;
- Retirees are NOT required to fast before Biometric Screening and will receive same day results;
- Retirees who test positive for tobacco use are still eligible to receive the $50 Wellness Premium Discount IF they complete an approved Tobacco Cessation Program.
Police RetireesPolice Retirees information [pdf] for important Cost of Living Adjustment to your WSPORS benefit.
**Due to the volume of questions, we may not be able to answer each email. Instead, questions will be answered here under Frequently Asked Questions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I have to re-enroll in my benefits each year?
Retirees are encouraged to enroll in benefits during Annual Enrollment, UNLESS you are on the Medicare Advantage (United Health Care) plan. United Health Care participants do not need to make any changes. Blue Cross Blue Shield retirees should enroll each year, but benefits will default to your previous year elections should you fail to do so.
Have we changed carriers this year?
No. Active and retiree benefits are still administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. The retiree Medicare Advantage Supplement Plan is still administered through United Health Care.
Health Risk Assessment
- To receive the $50 wellness discount on your 2015 health insurance premiums, you must have completed the online health risk assessment by February 28 of 2015.
- Go to www.bcbsnc.com and log in:
- If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC insurance card to do so.
- If you forgot your user name or password, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.
- After logging in, click on WELLNESS at the top and then on HEALTH ASSESSMENT.
- The assessment takes about 20 minutes to complete.
LIFESMART WELLNESS PROGRAM
Reminder: Employee Medical Services has moved. The new address is
32 West 32nd Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27105
LifeSmart Wellness Class Series
Sittercise Exercise Class
Every Tuesday and Thursday (unless noted)
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. at South Fork Community Center
- Note: Sittercise will not be held on November 26 or December 24.
- December 2 - Retirement: Social Security [pdf/222kb/1p], 2 – 3 pm, Public Safety Center Auditorium
- December 3 - Fats Don’t Make You Fat [pdf/146kb/1p], 1 – 2 pm, Manson Meads
- December 8 - Gentle Yoga [pdf/197kb/1p], 11 am – noon, Manson Meads Basement
- December 9 - Retirement Readiness [pdf/263kb/1p], 1 – 2 pm, Stuart Municipal Building, Room 530
- December 10 - Gentle Yoga, 1 – 2 pm, City Hall Room 239
- December 15 - Gentle Yoga, 11 am – noon, Manson Meads Basement
- December 16 - Gentle Yoga, 11 am – noon, Public Safety Center Auditorium
- December 17 - Gentle Yoga, 1 – 2 pm, City Hall Room 239
- December 23 - Gentle Yoga, 11 am – noon, Public Safety Center Auditorium
- January 5 - Gentle Yoga [pdf/196kb/1p], 11 am – noon, Manson Meads Basement
- January 6 - Gentle Yoga, 1:30 - 2:30 pm, Public Safety Center Auditorium
- January 7 - Gentle Yoga, 1 – 2 pm, City Hall Room 239
- January 13 - Gentle Yoga, 1:30 - 2:30 pm, Public Safety Center Auditorium
- January 19 - Gentle Yoga, 11 am – noon, Manson Meads Basement
- January 20 - Tobacco Cessation Series, Class #1 [pdf/234kb/1p], 1:30 - 2:30 pm, Employee Medical Services
- January 21 - Gentle Yoga, 1 – 2 pm, City Hall Room 239
- January 27 - Tobacco Cessation Series, Class #2, 1:30 - 2:30 pm, Employee Medical Services
***Reserve your space by calling 748-3868 and leaving a message on the Registration Hotline or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to take online Wellness classes through BCBSNC
City employees can fulfill their wellness class requirement by participating in online wellness programs offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Go to www.mybcbsnc.com or www.bcbsnc.com (If you do not have a log in, you must register for member services. You will need your BCBSNC member card to do so. If you have any issues please contact BCBSNC customer service. Their number is located on the back of your insurance card.) After registering or logging in, choose Wellness at the top and then click on the Wellness Activities link on the left to access these options:
- Healthy Living Conversations - Choose from 15 online, interactive conversations on such topics as stress management, healthy thinking and healthy eating
- Online Monthly Seminars - Fun and engaging online seminars on a variety of wellness topics
HEALTHY OUTCOMES WELLNESS - Our Program for Better Health
North Carolina State Retirement Systems
Other Retirement Systems
- Winston-Salem Police Officers Retirement System (WSPORS)
North Carolina Treasurer
- Aetna Life Insurance: 1 (800) 826-7448, Aetna web site
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Reassure Life/Midland: (336) 765-1582 Roy Jennings
- UNUM Universal Life 1 (800) 635-5597, Unum web site
- CNA (Long-term Care): 1 (800) 266-2904, CNA web site
City-Sponsored Retiree benefits available to eligible retirees, spouses, and dependents
- BCBS Medical Coverage for pre-65 retirees, spouses, and dependents
- United Health Care Supplement coverage for post-65 retirees and spouses
- $2,000 Retiree Life Insurance (Death Benefit)
Links to Helpful Information
Have a suggestion or comment to send to the Webmaster? Use this form.