Professional Standards Division

Internal Affairs Section

The Professional Standards Division, Internal Affairs Section, conducts administrative investigations and reports findings directly to the Police Chief. It is the objective of this Section to ensure public confidence in the department through objective and thorough investigations of all allegations of employee misconduct.

If you find that you need to bring a complaint against a Police Department employee, be sure to note the date and time of day of the incident and try to get as much specific information as possible about the incident. As examples, try to get the name of the employee and names and addresses of any witnesses to the incident. You may ask for the employee’s I.D. number instead of the badge number, as badge numbers are not used as an employee identifier.

For general questions, concerns, comments/suggestions or to request a call from a PSD Investigator, contact can be made via e-mail at Professional Standards Division.

*Disclaimer - Using this contact link via email does NOT replace the complaint process protocol listed below.

Complaints may be filed immediately with the employee's supervisor or at any one of the following locations:

Professional Standards Division
Police Internal Affairs
Section - Public Safety Center
725 N. Cherry St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
City Secretary's Office
City Hall, Suite 140
101 N. Main Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27102
Human Relations Department
City Hall, Suite 109
101 N. Main Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27102

Staff at these locations will be available to assist you in filing your complaint.

All complaints will be investigated by the Professional Standards Division Internal Affairs Section. When the investigation is completed, the Police Chief will provide you with a written answer to the complaint. The Chief's letter will indicate if the investigation found the allegations in the complaint to be accurate, false, or unable to prove. It should be noted that the Police Chief cannot provide you with specific information regarding disciplinary actions taken against an employee.

If you are not satisfied with the conclusions reached by the Police Chief, you may appeal his/her decision to the Citizen Police Review Board.

Notify me of page changes

Receive E-Mail Notification When New Information is Posted on this Page
As a member, enjoy the benefits of MyCityofWS, including your choice of newsletters, and notifications about events and site updates. Login and Manage Your Subscriptions Now.