RECYCLING - IT'S IN THE BAG! Reduce, Reuse, and RECYCLE your plastic bags by bringing them back to a local grocery store near you. The City of Winston-Salem's Sanitation Department is responsible for the collection and recovery of the recyclable materials in the city. The material recovery facility, MRF, is stopped approximately three times a day to unclog the machinery used at the facility. The machines are getting clogged primarily with plastic bags that are thrown in the blue recycling bins in people's homes. Our aim in the Sustainability Office is to reduce the cost to the department, and ultimately the consumer, by reducing plastic bag use in our community.
Thanks to the Marketing and Communication Department for assisting our plastic bag campaign with the creation of the commercials listed below:
Other ways that you can make more sustainable choices:
RECYCLE your other goods properly!
Think about your TRANSPORTATION choices - conserve gasoline!
Try some of these suggestions at HOME!
- When building or remodeling your home, use energy-efficient and eco-friendly products.
- Take steps to properly insulate your home.
- Use eco-friendly products for cleaning in your home.
- Purchase goods from businesses that use organic, sustainable-growth practices.
- Purchase goods made or grown locally.
- Reduce the waste you generate!
- Buy items with less packaging (which is usually thrown into the landfill).
- Buy items made with recycled materials.
- Bring your own reusable bags while shopping.
- Print double-sided on your home printer and at work to save paper.
- Hang out clothes to dry in the sun.
- Use the microwave instead of the stove when possible.