Recreation and Parks
Recreation and Parks provides activities for people of all ages through recreation centers, parks, greenways, pools, historical sites, golf courses, and other facilities. As you begin to fill in your family calendar, don’t forget to include the recreational opportunities the city is offering this season. We look forward to seeing you in our parks and programs!
NEW! Skate Park at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds!
Look what is happening at the Anderson Recreation Center!
Our 2016 Spring/Summer WePLAY Magazine is now available! Be sure to check it out!
[2016 Spring/Summer WePLAY Magazine [pdf/30kb/26p]
MILLER PARK IMPROVEMENTS SURVEY
News & Updates
- IMPORTANT UPDATES
Recreation & Parks has arranged with the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools to make the Muddy Creek Greenway access at Jefferson Elementary School available seven days a week. The expanded hours will be in effect while the Meadowlark Drive access is closed for construction of Jamison Park.The Jefferson Elementary access is four-tenths of a mile off Robinhood Road on Jefferson Elementary Lane. The school gates at Robinhood Road will be open after school hours and on weekends, and signs will be placed at Robinhood Road directing greenway users to the parking area for this access point. Trash cans and porta-potties will be set up at the parking area.
- Inmar will host the Community Tech Night again on Thursday, May 19, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Fourteenth Street Community Center. Be sure to bring your charger or power cords with you!
- Salem Lake Spring Bass Tournaments are right around the corner:
-Saturday May 21. Big Bass Tournament 7:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. $20 per person
-Saturday May 28. Team Bass Tournament 7:30 a.m. -3:30 p.m. $60 per boat
- Summer Camps will be offered at the following locations: Fourteenth St., Hanes Hosiery, ML King, Old Town, Polo Park, Sedge Garden, Sprague St., W.R. Anderson, W.C. Sims, Georgia Taylor, Little Creek, and Miller Park. Be sure to contact the recreation centers of your choice for further details regarding age, times and price! Registration will begin on April 1!
- Due to construction, Happy Hill Shelter rentals will no longer be available from August 20, 2016, through October 31, 2018.
- Several of our pools will be opened for the Memorial Day Weekend! Be sure to check out the Aquatics Calendar!
- Salem Lake has been featured on the Triad Treasures blog! Be sure to read the story today! Salem Lake Piedmont Parent Blog
- The Forsyth Seniors, Juniors & Invitational dates have been set! Tournament dates [pdf/30/kb/1p]
- The 55th Forsyth Seniors Invitational Golf Tournament is right around the corner. All applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on May 26. Forsyth Seniors Application Form [pdf/30kb/1p]
- Be sure to check out the Piedmont Plus Senior Games schedule! 2016 PPSG Schedule [pdf/30kb/2p]
- Registration for Late Night Basketball at Fourteenth Street Community Center begins June 6! Be sure to contact Louis Lowery at (336) 727-2891 for more information!
- Portions of Lockland Park are closed due to storm drain issues. As a result, the swings have been removed. The Recreation & Parks Department along with the Stormwater Department will be working towards possible solutions with repairing this section of the park. This section of the park will be closed until further notice.
- Construction has started on the new comfort station at Bowen Boulevard. The new facility will replace the outdated restroom that serves patrons of the Bowen Boulevard Greenway and the Hansel B. Thomas Park. The new comfort station will have a more contemporary design with updated fixtures such as heat to allow year round operation and a new seating area.
Bowen Comfort Station Illustration [pdf/30kb/1p]
- Recreation & Parks has been recognized by Playacrossamerica.com for the playground at Washington Park! Be sure to read the great review and check out the great photos http://playacrossamerica.com/washington-park-winston-salem/
- The Historic Bethabara Park Boardwalk is currently undergoing reconstruction in preparation for their 2016 season. During construction, access to the boardwalk will be impacted, as well as stairway access to the Bethabara Greenway off of Reynolda Road. Construction updates will be posted to this page as they occur. For further information, contact Victoria Fulton, Historic Parks Supervisor, at (336) 924-8191.
- Tree removal and thinning will begin at Piney Grove Park on Wednesday, December 16. They will be removing trees and clearing underbrush to improve site line visibility. Signs and fencing will be posted to designate which areas in the park are closed.
- The tennis courts at Old Town Park are closed for repairs until further notice.
- The picnic shelter at Salem Lake will be closed for construction from October 3, 2015, until December 31, 2016.
- The Playground at Granville Park has now reopened!
- For more information on Piedmont Plus Senior Games, please visit the seniors page!
- Historic Bethabara Park
- Here are 10 reasons why we are thankful for Recreation & Parks! Be sure to read our listing [pdf/2kb/1p]!
- Check out the Greenway Plan! [pdf/30kb/2p]
- Get Involved...Adopt-a-Park!
- Memory Trees & Benches
- Recreation and Parks Commission
- Visit the Cricket's Nest Craft Shop
Project Update for Salem Creek Connector
Inclement Weather Information